Wednesday 7 June 2017

A Walk in the Fog

The end of May was wonderfully sunny but one bright, hot afternoon I decided to go for a walk on the beach only to find that the beach had vanished!

 
The rest of town might have been baking under a clear blue sky, but you stepped onto the beach and into the enveloping mists of a thick fog rolling in from the sea.

 

It was incredibly atmospheric and slightly eerie, with all the familiar landmarks looming up out of the fog. Of course, I couldn't resist taking lots of photos!


There were just a few people out in the fog like me, and a few holidaymakers at the sunnier edges of the beach trying to make the best of their day out. People looking a little depressed as they ate their picnic lunches, kids throwing balls and yelling "I can't see where it's gone!", the tourist horse and cart disappearing up the beach and into the whiteness leaving a trail of hoof marks on the sand.


It was especially surreal being able to hear the end of the pier but to not be able to see it. Just knowing you were getting closer as the 60s and 70s hits got louder and louder...


Definitely not the kind of walk I was expecting, but a very enjoyable one all the same!

5 comments:

Cream Linen said...

Wow! It was really atmospheric.I love fog and your photos have very well captured this foggy landscape. Tina

Bugs and Fishes said...

Thanks, Tina! I'm really glad I had my camera with me that day :)

Unknown said...

Great photos, really rather spooky. Three or four of them together on a wall would look very effictive. Sheelagh and Nick

Veronika said...

That's something you really don't see every day! What a great experience :)

Bugs and Fishes said...

Sheelagh & Nick - thank you! I clicked away hopefully and was very pleased with the results when I got home :)

Silly Little Sheep - it was really something special! Glad I managed to capture a little bit of the magic to remember it by :)